If I have to describe the status of Subnautica 2 In just three words, it will be: dirty, dirty, dirty. This does not mean that the game itself is terrifying – this is actually an important claim in the whole situation – but the Sabantica series developer is in the shade between unknown Worlds and his parents’ company, Crafton. Only this month, Crafton fired the founders and CEOs of the unknown world, Subnautica 2 It was delayed by 2026 and the deposed leaders filed a lawsuit against Craft, and wanted to regain creative control of the game and studio. The conflict center has a bonus payment worth $ 250 million.
Here’s how we arrived here and what is going on in the devil is a way of Subnautica 2Craft and unknown worlds.
Charlie Cleveland launched an unknown world by mistake by building popular in 2001 Half -life Mode Natural choice And Natural Selection 2And Technical Director Max McGurr came in 2006 as co -founder of the official studio. Mine Craft And burning the moods, unknown worlds started working on the underground, open World Explororation Game subnautica And released it in 2014 in early access to Steam. With years of comments from the community, the game was developed in a single stress and rich survival experience, and version 1.0 officially landed in 2018. It also happened when Ted Gill joined the studio’s executive team, and liberated Cleveland to focus on the creative direction. subnautica And his spin -off, Sabanautica: below zeroMillions of players were attracted and established unknown worlds as a successful independent team.
So, big studios were smelling. Pubg Publisher Craft, which works with billions of dollars annually, bought an unknown world in 2021 for $ 500 million. This acquisition came with the end of 2025 with an additional payment of up to $ 250 million in the event of targeting some unknown world performance goals. This bonus is an important piece of chaos today.
We know more about the details of this agreement thanks to recent reporting . In addition to the leadership positions packed by Cleveland, Gul and McGier, the unknown Worlds had around 40 employees at the time of sale, and they received a total of 50 million payments in the next two years. This large group was designed to receive a maximum of $ 25 million in a command of 2025, in which each person expects different money, but mostly estimates six or seven personalities. The remaining $ 225 million was allocated to lead an unknown world, but he said he intends to share a portion of his windfall with employees who were not included in the bonus, covering a full studio head of about 100 people.
The unknown world leadership reiterated the promise on July 10, 2025, in a case filed against the Crafton. But we are moving beyond ourselves.
After the acquisition, unknown worlds continued to update subnautica And Under zero. In February 2024, the studio was released The moon breakerA turn -based strategy game that never partially taken because of it, . Since then, the focus on the studio has been focused Subnautica 2. The game was with the initial access of 2025 with the launch window. This is the second most desirable game on Steam, followed by Hollow Night: Silksong.
The first public believes that there was something between unknown worlds and crafts, on July 2, when Cleveland, Gul and McGir were fired and replaced by the former. Callisto Protocol Studio Head Steve Popotase. Crafton did not provide any reason for the switch -up Instead, offering the following full thinking: “While the Crafton tried to keep the unidentified world co -founders and original creators of the Sabatica series involved in the development of the game, the company wishes them on their next efforts.”
Crafton did not mention the delay in the initial access launch at this time, but he implemented the review process, which he said, “It would be necessary to provide the right game at the right time.” The publisher suggested that the deposed leaders do not cooperate in this aspect.
“The new leadership of the unknown world fully supports the process and is determined to meet the expectations of the players,” his press release states.
Cleveland appeared Reflecting their time in the game’s development on July 4, and by handing over the unknown worlds of Crafton and sharing their frustration and Subnautica 2. He also cited the delay in the launch of the craft’s intention.
Cleveland wrote, “You can see that for Max, Ted, himself, an unknown world team, and for our community, this week’s events are in shock.” “We know that this game is ready to release early access and we know you are ready to play it. And when we thought it was our decision, at least for now, this decision is in the hands of Crafton. And after all these years, to find out that I was unable to work in this company.”
On July 9, the Craftone officially Injured Subnautica 2 By 2026. The same day, Bloomberg Performing a report on the performance -based bonus agreement, published a report and clearly raised the question of how the delay time will make the studio difficult to target its goals, which will endanger the payment. It was the first time the bonus details became commonplace.
Craft-and in a pop-up with the enjogett On July 10, the directors of the fired leaders accused of abandoning the studio in favor of personal creative acquisition, especially calling Cleveland. . She also threw the shadow The moon breaker And claimed that former owners want the bonus payments “for themselves”.
“Crafton made several requests to resume his role as a game director and technical director, respectively, but the two refused to do so, the statement said. “In particular, after failure The moon breakerCrafton told Charlie to dedicate himself to development Subnautica 2. However, instead of participating in the game development, he chose to focus on a personal film project. Crafton believes that the absence of basic leadership has resulted in repeated confusion in the direction and the overall schedule of the project has been delayed. The current initial access version is also shortening in terms of content volume.
On the same day, Cleveland announced that he and the heads of other evacuated studio were against Crafton.
Cleveland wrote, “A tragic, public and potentially long way to a billions of dollars company was certainly not on my bucket list.” “But it needs to be fixed. Sabanautica has been the work of my life and I will never give up with him or the amazing team that has put his hearts in it. As far as the idea is that Max, Ted and I wanted to keep it all for myself, it is completely wrong.”
The case was not sealed until July 16. But on July 15, It is reported that Crafton has now planned to extend the window for an extra year to pay for an extra year, which has given the studio more time to target its goals. The publisher allegedly will also advance a part of the bonus pool in a separate profit to all the employees of the unknown world in 2025.
These measures seem to have been developed to mobilize the basic issues raised in violation of the contract complaint, which was filed by Cleveland and other unknown world leaders in the Delaware Chancery Court against the craft. The case, non -sealed on July 16, claimed that the craft illegally fired and delayed the studio chiefs Subnautica 2 To avoid bonus payment. This year it also provides a timeline of increasing tensions between the founders and the crafts, in which the publisher has been accused of deliberately sabotage.
The litigation claims that the Crafton and the unknown world had a respected relationship until April 2025, when Gul presented the Crafton executives with the positive taxes of the studio, which were created with the assumption. Subnautica 2 Will affect initial access in 2025. He also outlined the payment of the expected bonus under the agreement.
The litigation states that “when this happened, everything changed.”
The complaint alleges that at this location, Crafton began searching for ways to force the leaders of unknown worlds and delay it. Subnautica 2With a goal to stop bonus payment. Cleveland, Gul and McGir, have argued with Crafton’s executives to say whether the game was ready for initial access, and Crafton eventually pulled all its resources from the studio. Crafton issued a stop order Subnautica 2 According to the complaint, development, took over the communications channels of the unknown world and in June, he began to put an internal paper trail, alleging that the founders were accused of abandoning their duties.
On July 1st, Cleveland, Gul and McGhire were fired from the unknown Worlds Board of Directors. From here, the rest of us entered the story.
Here the main dispute has ended or not Subnautica 2 The initial access launch is really ready, and due to the payment of 250 million bonuses, it is important due to the delayed risk. Not only is it a huge amount of money to lose Crafton, but it is also a huge amount for Cleveland, Gill and McGir, especially now that they have lost their studio and tent pool IP. The deposed leaders reaffirmed in their legal proceedings that they have planned to share more earnings with their dedicated team, compared to the contract.
In this situation every party claims that they want what is better Subnautica 2 And his players. It is possible that they are telling all the truth and this is a simple disagreement about artistic integrity. It is also possible that they are all lying and everyone is looking for (or keeping) a sharp deer – but dude, it’s dark. The truth, as always, is likely to exist somewhere else and, are possibilities, we will never know it. At least the judicial system will eventually be able to determine the second best thing, which is wrong.
Is there a tip for Jessica? You can reach it E -mailFor, for, for,. Blusky Or send a message @Jesscon.96 Chat secretly on the signal.
If you buy something through a link in this article, we can get a commission.